FY2020 Summary of inquiries received by Consumer Hotline for Tourists
The National Consumer Affairs Center of Japan (NCAC) launched the Consumer Hotline for Tourists in December 2018 to offer telephone consultation that inbound tourists to Japan can use if they experience consumer detriment while visiting Japan. The Consumer Hotline for Tourists is accessible in seven languages, i.e. English, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, French and Japanese with use of interpretation service through a three-way call system.
The following summary reflects inquiries received by the Consumer Hotline for Tourists in FY2020.
Details of the information will be described in the "Annual Report on Consumer Affairs 2021", which will be released on NCAC's website in October 2021.
Trends and characteristics in FY2020
Inquiries received by Consumer Hotline for Tourists
- The Consumer Hotline for Tourists received 125 inquiries in FY2020. The 125 inquiries consist of 32 inquiries from inbound tourists to Japan, 70 inquiries from foreign residents in Japan and 23 inquiries from foreign nationals outside Japan. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, inquiries from inbound tourists to Japan decreased.
Inquiries from inbound tourists to Japan
- Inquiries from inbound tourists to Japan, in other words intended consumers, amounted to 32 in FY2020. The 32 inquiries consist of 16 inquiries (50.0%) received during their visit to Japan, 13 inquiries (40.8%) received before their visit to Japan, and 3 inquiries (9.4%) received after leaving Japan. Those received during and before their visit to Japan accounted for more than 90% of the total. The percentage of inquiries received before their visit to Japan increased from 12.9% in FY2019 to 40.6% in FY2020.
- According to the breakdown of the 32 inquiries by language, both of inquiries in English and those in Chinese amounted to 14 (43.8%). Those in Chinese and English accounted for nearly 90% of the total.
- The breakdown of the 32 inquiries by product/service category showed that inquiries about "accommodation" amounted to 14 (43.8%), the largest of all.
- There were numerous inquiries about "contract, cancellation" and "service to customers".