Unexpected billing for cosmetics purchased through advertisement on SNS - The counterparty found out to be an overseas fraudulent trader although the transaction was made on a website in Japanese!? -
Many inquiries and complaints have been sent from consumers like "I ordered cosmetics after seeing an advertisement on SNS purporting that a famous actress also use the cosmetics, but the amount billed was several times of the actual price for my order". There are many cases that consumers make a contract led by an advertisement on SNS. If you lightly make a contract encouraged by an advertisement purporting like "The famous entertainer uses this one", you may be involved in a trouble with an overseas fraudulent trader.
There has been a surge in the number of inquiries and complaints sent to the Cross-Border Consumer Center Japan (CCJ) at NCAC related to troubles with overseas fraudulent traders as mentioned above: about 10 in June 2015 and about 300 in July 2015.
Therefore, NCAC introduces recent cases of consultations and alert consumers with a view to preventing the occurrence of similar problems and holding back the expansion of the existing problems.
Sample cases of inquiries and complaints
- I accessed to a website of self-claimed TV station through SNS advertisement and ordered cosmetics which they stated that a famous actress use, but I was charged a price higher than the advertised price.
- I stopped ordering cosmetics on the online cosmetics shopping site which I accessed after posting to SNS, but I received an order confirmation e-mail.
Advice for Consumer
- Do not make a contract at ease even on the website which was advertised on SNS you often use.
- If you get involved in trouble with an overseas trader, it is difficult to solve. Be careful.
- In case of trouble, consult your local consumer center.