Glasses susceptible to fracture due to residual strain at the edge! If you have one, contact your seller
In September 2022, NCAC received a request for conducting a product test from a consumer saying "A glass was broken when I was washing it. My hand was injured. Would you investigate why the glass was broken?" When checking the glasses, NCAC found that they had residual strain1 at the edge probably caused by inadequacy in the manufacturing process. We've learned that when such a glass is scratched at the edge or subject to external force, it can be broken more easily than glasses not having residual strain. Besides, this incident is included in the news release2 on the Consumer Affairs Agency website as a serious product accident under the Consumer Product Safety Act and as a serious accident under the Consumer Safety Act.
In addition, it has been reportedly said that the import company of the products found a similar problem. If you have a glass named "aurora glass", stop using it and contact the PAL CO., LTD.
Photo: Appearance of the product (type: Clear)
- 1 Residual strain is formed in the manufacturing process by uneven solidification of glass due to sudden cooling or temperature variation. Glass having residual strain is more easily broken when cracked, impacted or subject to external force.
- 2 News release of serious product accidents related to consumer products on September 2, 2022 [PDF file] (Consumer Affairs Agency)
News release of serious accidents under the Consumer Safety Act on March 9, 2023 [PDF file] (Consumer Affairs Agency)
Advice for consumers
The glass had residual strain at the edge probably caused by inadequacy in the manufacturing process. We've learned that when such a glass is scratched at the edge or subject to external force, it can be broken more easily than glasses not having residual strain.
According to the PAL CO., LTD, the company is guiding customers how to return the product and receive a refund. You can confirm the product name and product number on the company website. If you have any of the following products, stop using it and contact the company.
- outlets of 3COINS, PAL CLOSET
- Shipping quantity
- Clear: 1,067,186 / Brown: 287,573
- Sales price
- 330 yen (tax included)
- Selling period
- October 7, 2020 – August 18, 2022
- inquiry counter of PAL CO., LTD
- Toll-free call number
- Open hours
- 10:00 – 17:30
- Email address